Monday, August 19, 2013

S&%$ my Toddler Actually Eats: Quinoa Salad

It's hot out, I'm pregnant, I'm tired, and this little bugger in my belly has flipped itself into a breech position. I was going to title this post something cute about "Treats for Toddlers" or some crap like that but I just thought I would call it like it is: S#$% my toddler will actually eat. She has been really "picky" lately....
Made this for lunch today and it was a big hit with both Little Bean and I. It was easy to make too, and made with fairly inexpensive ingredients. Truthfully there was a recipe on the back of the bag of Quinoa, but I didn't have 80% of the ingredients that it called for. I just adapted it with what I had on hand and it was amazing. About 20 minutes from start to finish, accounting for a crying toddler :)

Cristina's Quinoa Salad

INGREDIENTS (all preferably organic)
1 cup Quinoa
1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds
4-5 Tbsp lemon juice (juice of about 1 really juicy lemon or 2 not really juicy lemons)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 Tbsp of honey, depending on tartness of lemons (add more if dressing is too tarte)
Zest of one lemon
1/2 Tbsp of fresh chopped Thyme or 1/2 Tsp of dried Thyme
1/4 Tsp of salt
Crumbled soft goat cheese for garnish

Cook quinoa according to package directions. I just added a cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water, let it come to a boil, then put it on low and covered it for 15 mins. This allowed me the time to get the dressing made and deal with a crying child. After 15 minutes, fluff it with a fork and let it cool slightly before combining everything.










For the dressing I just threw the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, zest, thyme and salt in small mason jar and shook away. I tend towards the "mason jar" style of making dressings instead of a whisk and bowl because I need to be able to do things while holding a child.








After the quinoa cooled down for a couple of minutes I just combined it in a bowl with the dried cherries and almonds and the dressing. Toss together and sprinkle over some crumbled soft goat cheese before serving. This was a big, big hit. Plus, quinoa is super good for you and pretty cheap. Bonus!



No comments:

Post a Comment