Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Is it possible? Sort of....

     Is it possible to eat whole, healthy foods when you are insanely busy. For the most part, yes. Is it possible to cook, bake, eat, grocery shop and blog about everything while you are insanely busy? Not so much.... Coming off a busy couple of months for this gal. Coupled with my ever growing belly, my time has been stretched. To be honest, when I have extra time I have been napping. I say that very unapologetic, I have a rule that pregnant women should never apologize for napping.
     I will admit that there has been some eating out that has happened over the last two months and (gasp!) some fast food once or twice. All in all considering how much my family has had on our plate the last little while, I think we are doing quite well! One good thing that has come from being so busy, is finding new, fast dinner recipes that can be made in 30 minutes or less with a crying toddler clinging to your legs. A big winner was this one here, courtesy of my new favorite person, Ree Drummond:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/beef-with-snow-peas-recipe/index.html

One thing that has really helped me out is my anniversary present, a brand new breadmaker! (You know you're getting old when...)


Other favorites have been:

Really, anything stuffed into a crepe and topped with whipped cream can't be all that bad. 

Frittatas have been a lifesaver, both because they are super fast but they also use up leftovers and veggies that are about to turn

Cous Cous cooks in about 10 minutes, and my daughter loves it. 

Taco night is fun, provided I have homemade tortillas on hand in the freezer. They are time consuming to make I'm not going to lie, but oh.... soooooo good! Oh, and that is homemade veggie ground round there! (also a make ahead item)

Been Chili in the slowcooker is a godsend. Really, anything that can be made in the slowcooker is a godsend. 

Who doesn't love a salad?

And a big favorite, homemade pizza, with pizza dough made for me in the breadmaker :)

So all in all the last couple of months have been going well, all things considered. I am trying a new, more organized food budget for the next little while. Instead of just making a regular grocery budget, I am trying to track exactly where my money goes. It has lead to some insights.... anyone else spending over 100$ a month on dairy products? My family sure likes cheese and sour cream!!! (We are Ukrainian after all!)

That's about all from the Stewart house for now. I am going to go now and convince a toddler to nap (ha ha ha) and see if I can clean up my kitchen. Well, maybe my whole house, but we'll start with the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment