Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Budget Savers - French Toast Casserole

So I have been trying diligently to stay on budget this month..... lol....
I have to confess I am having a hard time because I must be nesting or something. I just want to stockpile diapers, wipes, toilet paper, etc.... I have about 6 weeks to go if I go the full 40, and all I can think about is how hectic everything was when Little Bean first came home... now I get to do it all over again with a toddler!

One thing that has been helpful is trying to find good recipes that are not only delicious, but easy to make, use up leftovers, and don't break the bank... not too much to ask right!? But, I have managed to find one that fits the bill! French Toast Casserole! My favorite one is from Ree Drummond of course, and I absolutely love it! (click here for the recipe). If I was a good blogger, I would have made sure to take a photo for you to see this delectable treat, but instead.... I ate it all.....

Now there are a few reasons why I love this recipe, the first being that I can easily tweak it. The original recipe calls for a loaf of sourdough bread, but of course I don't have that hanging around. What I do find is that no one in my house eats the ends of the bread, and, no one finishes off the bread when it starts to go stale. If I can catch it before the green fuzzies start to grow, I have the perfect base for this recipe. I just save up all my bread odds and ends in the freezer and then take them all out a few hours before I want to assemble this thing. 

Did I mention that you can also assemble it at night and then just pop it in the fridge overnight? Then you can just wake up and throw it in the oven, looking incredibly capable like the domestic goddess you are :)

The recipe calls for 8 eggs and 2 cups of milk, which some of you may find crazy. However, if you are like me, every so often you have a bunch of eggs in the fridge that you forgot about and your milk is about to turn. Instead of making your husband chug a huge glass of milk after downing an 8-egg omelet, you can just make this :) So much better than letting stuff go to waste!

The other thing I like is that I substituted all of the sugar in the recipe for Coconut Palm Sugar and it tasted perfect. Not too sweet. Able to double as Breakfast/Brunch or even a dessert. Hubby and Little Bean gladly ate it all up!

So that's my one big find for a budget saving recipe. Something to do with all those odds and ends of bread instead of throwing them away, and a way to use up any milk or eggs before they turn. Hopefully I can find some more and pass them along! Happy Tuesday everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment